Wednesday 17 April 2013

The soundtrack of my life...so far.

I thought that I would do something different today, I’m going to post a list of songs, but it’s not my favorite  or the top 100 chart toppers. It’s a list of songs that mean something to me, or that remind of a time, place or person. This list is in no particular order.

Light My Fire – Will Young.

This was the first ever single that I brought, I loved this song growing up, and I loved Will Young. I was eight or nine years old when Light My Fire was covered.  I brought the CD from our local ASDA (The British version of Wal-Mart) , a week after Will Young had won Pop Idol for around £3 with my pocket money. I have remained a fan ever since.

In case you’re interested, I used to get £5 pocket money a week.

Relight My Fire – Take That. (Feat. Lulu)

Late nineties, I was even younger and convinced that there was a secret box under the floor boards, inside this box, I was convinced that there was a map that would lead to some un-discovered treasure just outside the valley where I lived and that it was my duty to go and find it, with my dog. Tucker was a springer spaniel and the most beautiful and gentle dog in the world. I would do anything to get him back.  

How did this song get into my memory? Simple, my Mother, she played this every single day, I’m pretty sure that my Dad is sick of it.

You've Got A Friend In Me – Randy Newman

I have two words for you: Toy Story.

Sex Bomb- Tom Jones.

Questions are raised as to why an nine year old would be obsessed with song so much that he ends up singing it every day in the school playground, a playground of a strict Roman Catholic school. I am now an atheist.

Anything from Radio 1’s Live Lounge Volume One.

Year eight in school (seventh grade for my American Readers who make up 65% of my audience.) and this was the year of change, firstly I was growing up, very quickly and shall we say that things were changing inside me, and I was starting to feel things that were weird, but what I was feeling seemed different to what the popular sporty kids were feeling or what my group,’ the ones who paid attention and were so bright that we could be the best in class without falling into the geek/dork/nerd stereotype’ were feeling. They were attracted to girls, I wasn't.

RockStar - Nickleback.

I loved this song; I was such a rebel when it came out that I got the censored version on my mp3 player. I used to listen to this song on the bus on the way to school, during that dry period when I didn't have a radio play built in to my mp3 player, so I couldn't listen to The Chris Moyles Show.

Uprising – Muse

Fast forward to college, I was 17 and a budding actor, my whole life revolved around acting, I was partially good at Shakespearean drama's and dark gritty plays. I was not so good at singing. I did not like open my vocal chords in front of hundreds of people. Uprising was the first song that I sang in front of a audience, but it was the song the taught me to just enjoy it. I played a weird werewolf/zombie thing during this song. This was the big opening to our Rock 'n' Horror evening.

We had rehearsed this a hundred times and we got it perfect every time. The plan was that we were to be split into two groups, My group would enter from the door on stage left in a creepy and incredibly evil manner, singing until 'we will never see the truth around.' At which point the other group would come in from the door on stage right, and sing up to the chorus, where both groups become one and we all sing together.

However, Sod's law would have it, that our tutor, who shall not be named, decided to lock the door that the second group would come out from. Our tutor locked this door to stop parents, friends and family from taking the easy way into the hall, forgetting that the second group would be requiring that door in a piece that our tutor choreographed themselves.

It came to the second groups cue, instead of hearing the lyrics, we heard a 'clunk.' We had to think quickly, it was do or die, we sang the words as best we could, while being accompanied by 'IT'S LOCKED' and the very distant singing while the group very quickly made there way into the Studio, to enter the Hall, via the two sets of double doors which lead out to center stage.

They got 20 or so people on stage via three sets of doors in a time that Usain Bolt cannot hope to beat. We got it together by chorus.

Uprising is, and remains my favorite song.

Viva La Vida - Coldplay.

I've nailed this song on my guitar. That is all.

And I love this song.

Mozart's House - Clean Bandit.

I heard this on Radio One last month while driving home and just fell in love with it. It's is my soundtrack for right now. I love that Clean Bandit have been able to stamp there own style on a stable of classical music while being respectful the the source material.

It only two and a half  years for this work of art to be noticed in the mainstream. It is so good, I love it.

Shake it - Metro Station

It was the summer of '09' The best goddamn summer ever, My whole year got to go to Butlin's, (we still had to do lessons though) for a study week in the run up to our GCSE's. The only thing is that I have very little to write about it on this blog, mostly because it involves a tonne of people and some stories that I assume that they (and me) want to stay buried, especially for some in the building on the other side of the courtyard.

The thing is, Metro Station are the complete opposite of my normal tastes, yet the still have made it into my list, and that summer would have been so different with another song, and not as special.

Sweet Child o' Mine - Guns N' Roses.

Sweet Child o' Mine was the first song that I taught myself (with the help of youtube) to play on the guitar and the soundtrack of my rocker stage.(I wear mortal's clothes now.) I was 18 and wanted to be different, I also hanged out with the different kids, but don't worry, I was in the group could hold down a job and kept our heads screwed on.

I also had a brief passing with Paramore, but they didn't stick.

There is one point that I want to make, people in my generation, say that our music is rubbish and does not hold up to the 70's and 80's. I say to them that if they don't like what they've got then they should make their own, no one forces you to listen to what is current, you choose your playlist, not me.

Who know's the next song on this list could be one of yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment